- Kindergarten today: It’s no longer as easy as ABC
- Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014
- The kindergartners walk into Raeleen Martinez’s classroom and begin digging through their superhero and princess backpacks for their reading booklets. Martinez’s sing-song voice and perpetual smile welcome them to her class at Martinez Elementary School and get them started on their first activity, reading the booklet, “I Like Salad.” She tells them to read the words they know. The boys and girls seated at their group tables know ...
- Company’s water conservation contest offers cash prizes for students
- Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014
- Las Vegas K-12 students have a chance to turn ideas about water conservation into cash, courtesy of ...
- Search for next UNLV president raises red flag for one regent
- Monday, Oct. 20, 2014
- The chairman of UNLV’s president search committee raised questions about the selection process after a candidate who had been rejected was resurrected among the final ...
- 3 finalists named for UNLV president
- Monday, Oct. 20, 2014
- The number of candidates for UNLV president has been narrowed to three. The candidates were announced today during a meeting of the UNLV Board of Regents and Presidential Search Committee. The finalists are ...
- You’re not a kid anymore: Program uses role play to teach students about finance
- Thursday, Oct. 16, 2014
- What's the best way teach kids the value of a dollar? In the Capital One Junior Achievement Finance Park program, the answer is to bring them face-to-face with the monetary decisions their parents face on a ...
- Philanthropist’s $12M gift to boost special education programs at UNLV
- Monday, Oct. 13, 2014
- When longtime UNLV supporter Kitty Rodman died in February, she had one more gift waiting for the university. UNLV officials announced today that Rodman had willed a $12 million grant to ...
- Las Vegas homeless program for youths offers graduates more than a diploma
- Friday, Oct. 10, 2014
- For young adults like Angelo Kelley, the Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth offers a pathway out of a life on the street and opportunities to ...
- For autistic children and their families, this UNLV honoree offers hope
- Thursday, Oct. 9, 2014
- For providing care for families with autistic children in Las Vegas and becoming "one of the best assets that Touro University has," Dr. Nicole Cavenagh has earned ...
- Study: Despite new funding formula, Northern Nevada schools still come out on top
- Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2014
- Nevada’s new higher education funding model may not be the great equalizer it was billed to be for Southern Nevada schools, according to a UNLV Lincy Institute report released today. Last year, the Legislature approved ...
- New nonprofit touted as hub for health care in Nevada
- Thursday, Oct. 2, 2014
- A new medical entity has emerged in Nevada, but its mission isn’t to compete with hospitals and medical schools — it’s here to help them. The Nevada Medical Center was unveiled ...
- Photos: Free Ben & Jerry's ice cream served by L.V. celebs warms the soul
- Wednesday, April 10, 2013
- For one hour, BMX professional Ricardo Laguna and a cast of Revolver dancers scooped ice cream cones in virtual anonymity on Tuesday at ...