- Sister’s ordeal motivates Las Vegas innovator to create anti-bullying app
- Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014
- Motivated by the bullying of his little sister, Marcos Ontiveros developed an app that will make it easier for students to report being abused by their classmates. The app will be piloted in ...
- Higher ed chancellor says UNLV medical school is critical for Nevada
- Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014
- Sitting before a crowd of businesspeople, lawmakers, educators and other guests, Nevada System of Higher Education Chancellor Dan Klaich reiterated his support for a medical school in Las Vegas, calling it “critical” for the state. Klaich joined the presidents of ...
- School’s in session: Stories of the first day from around CCSD
- Monday, Aug. 25, 2014
- At 7 a.m., more than 320,000 students in Clark County began their march into school, marking the end of summer vacation. The first day of school is one of mixed excitement and nerves. Older students rejoin ...
- Not kids’ stuff: CCSD officials face major challenges as school year gets under way
- Monday, Aug. 25, 2014
- When the school bells ring this morning, 320,000 students will march back into the classroom in the Clark County School District. Behind the scenes, district officials are facing major challenges as they ...
- Acting UNLV president has a full plate this year
- Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014
- Don Snyder discusses his objectives for his short term, including such visionary and long-standing goals as a new stadium and medical school ...
- Regents’ OK is ‘huge step’ toward UNLV getting medical school
- Friday, Aug. 22, 2014
- The fate of UNLV’s proposed medical school will now rest in the hands of Gov. Brian Sandoval and the Legislature. The state Board of Regents approved a biennial budget request that includes ...
- With CCSD still short 650 teachers, here’s how one school is coping
- Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014
- In a perfect world, Kathy Konowalow would be able to fill Pittman Elementary School’s four teacher vacancies with full-time teachers. Yet with four days left until the start of the school year, Clark County School District remains short 650 teachers, and Pittman’s four positions are still open. Life has been anything but perfect ...
- Federal grant to help low-income Nevada students prepare for college
- Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2014
- The Nevada Department of Education received a boost in funding today to help low-income students ...
- Very happy meals: Program provides summer relief for needy kids
- Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014
- For kids who receive free or reduced-price meals at school, summer can mean days of missed meals and weeks of hunger. Parents sometimes struggle to find money or time to provide their children with the meals they eat at school But thanks to a program supported by the federal government, help is ...
- Plan calls for $26.7 million state funding request to launch UNLV medical school
- Friday, Aug. 1, 2014
- Planning for the proposed UNLV School of Medicine took a step forward Friday with the unveiling of a business plan calling for the state of Nevada to spend ...
- Photos: Free Ben & Jerry's ice cream served by L.V. celebs warms the soul
- Wednesday, April 10, 2013
- For one hour, BMX professional Ricardo Laguna and a cast of Revolver dancers scooped ice cream cones in virtual anonymity on Tuesday at ...