Adelson ranked the 27th richest person in world
1 November 2012
Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson is ranked at No. 27 in a new list of the world's richest people.
Bloomberg Markets Magazine today unveiled the list, which found Carlos Slim of Mexico to be the world's richest person with a fortune of $77.5 billion. His source of wealth is his America Movil company in the telecommunications industry.
Ranked No. 2 is Bill Gates of Microsoft fame with a $64.4 billion fortune.
Adelson is estimated to have a net worth of $21.3 billion, up 6.9 percent or $1.4 billion on a year-over-year basis as of Oct. 5, Bloomberg Markets reported.
With his hefty fortune driven by his booming hotel-casino business, Adelson is the first person to spend $70 million on a presidential election and has said he may end up spending as much as $100 million to help ensure President Barack Obama won't be re-elected, Politico reported in September.
Also on the Bloomberg Markets list is investor Carl Icahn at No. 46 and worth $15.8 billion. Icahn controls Las Vegas-based casino operator Tropicana Entertainment Inc. as well as the stalled Fontainebleau Las Vegas resort project.
Join the Discussion:
- Surging home values in Las Vegas expected to keep their momentum
- Lake Las Vegas, long viewed as a bust, is rebounding
- What the Firefly outbreak means for the restaurant's future and the alleged victims' pocketbooks
- Cowabummer: The planned Memorial Day opening of Henderson's Cowabunga Bay Water Park is delayed
- Report: Las Vegas among top spots to ‘flip’ homes
Will online gaming hurt brick-and-mortar casinos?