Righthaven refiles copyright suit after dismissal
Hours after a federal judge dismissed a Righthaven copyright lawsuit against Dean Mostofi on Wednesday, Righthaven sued Mostofi again — this time based on its updated lawsuit contract with the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
“The dismissal for lack of standing in Mostofi I was based exclusively on the contents of the SAA (the lawsuit contract between Righthaven and Review-Journal owner Stephens Media LLC),” Righthaven said in its new lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for Nevada. “The Mostofi I decision did not consider Righthaven’s standing based on the terms of the (SAA) clarification, the restated (SAA) amendment and the specific assignment for the work (R-J story).”
“The re-filing of Righthaven’s infringement claim against defendant through this complaint not only places the assignment, clarification and restated amendment before the court, but these previous unconsidered materials in Mostofi I unquestionably establish Righthaven’s standing to seek redress for defendant’s blatant and willful copyright infringement of the work,” the new lawsuit says.
The new lawsuit reiterates allegations that Mostofi infringed on an R-J story last year called “Court reprimands lawyer over misleading ads.”
Mostofi hasn’t yet responded to the new lawsuit, but in the original suit he called Righthaven with its no-warning lawsuits a “schoolyard bully.”