Culinary plans yet another picket outside Cosmopolitan
Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun
The Culinary Union is taking another crack at the Cosmopolitan.
A major demonstration has been slated for June 14, when hundreds of members plan to picket outside the Strip resort, where 2,000 Culinary workers have been clocking in without a contract for two years, according to Culinary spokeswoman Yvanna Cancela.
“This demonstration is related to contracts at the Cosmopolitan,” Cancela said.
This demonstration is not related to ongoing contract negotiations with MGM Resorts International and Caesars Entertainment, Cancela said. The old contracts expired June 1.
MGM officials last week signed a contract extension with the Culinary, which represents 40,000 hotel workers, and officials at Caesars said they are in the process of inking a similar extension.
The picketing will mark the third such demonstration in six months. The last one happened March 20, when more than 2,000 Culinary worker picketed outside the Cosmopolitan.
About 100 more workers sat in the middle of Las Vegas Boulevard, blocked traffic and let Metro Police arrest them in solidarity for Cosmopolitan workers.